Re: Archiving data into another database

From: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:17:24 -0800 (PST)

haven't read every message in this thread, but just as an FYI with a number of caveats (only works with partitioned tables, it isn't an integrated ERP application data archiving solution), etc..

I have seen a few demos and thought I'd mention it if the fully custom script implementation isn't your cup of tea.

Oracle ILM Assistant

             The Oracle ILM Assistant is a GUI based tool for managing your ILM environment. It provides the ability to create lifecycle definitions, which are assigned to tables in the database. Then based on the lifecycle policy, the ILM Assistant advises when it is time to move, archive or delete data. It will also illustrate the storage requirements and cost savings associated with moving the data. Other capabilities include the ability to show how to partition a table based on a lifecycle definition and to simulate the events on a table if it were partitioned.
             To assist with managing compliance issues, the ILM Assistant will show all VPD and FGA policies that have been defined. It can also display and query all the audit records and generate and compare digital signatures.
             The Oracle ILM Assistant requires Oracle Database 9i or greater and that Oracle Application Express (formerly HTML Db) must be installed in the database where the tables to be managed by the ILM Assistant reside. Initially, only tables partitioned on a date are eligible and the ILM Assistant does not make any physical changes to the database, instead it generates scripts so that you can perform the tasks when you are ready.

Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com> wrote: Thank you for the link. I believe this would work if we can get the code to require a date range--that's what they want to use as the key for archiving. The users who run ad hoc queries would have to be trained as well. Very doable. I'm looking forward to testing this as soon as I can.

 I have already talked about the cost of recoding vs. buying a different license. It fell on deaf ears. Won't stop me from trying again though once they've tuned the horrible SQL that I see every day. Picking my battles here.

 Sandy

 On 1/31/07, Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl> wrote: Which brings me to a reference to a link to the archives of this list:

 http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/06-2005/msg00782.html

A post linking to 'poor man's partitioning' by Lex de Haan, who left this planet(R) at Febr. 1st 2006. It is a year ago, tomorrow. He's missed by many.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===

> Having had good results with partitioning at my last job, that would be
> my
> preference. Unfortunately, partitioning isn't an option when using
> Standard
> Edition One as we are. The company isn't yet in a position financially to
> pay the licensing fees for an editiion that supports partitioning. This
> is
> why I'm looking for other options. I still am leaning towards an archive
> table in the same database.
>
> Sandy

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.