RE: Archiving data into another database

From: Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:58:45 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Carel-Jan Engel My main objection against solutions with separated sets of historical and actual data is that users often (read: ultimately always...) want to see information combined/derived/aggegrated from both actual and historical data.

As a developer-analyst with n-years of expierence I can second that. In practice even OLTP applications may need access to historic data. A simple example: the common question when serving a client (whatever client. it may be a fire station dispatcher taking a call) is to get access to previous transactions on behalf of that client. In practice it may be possible to denormalize or to separate relevant history records into smaller tables but not allways. As soon as there is some decision making then the application drifts to tactical app. Fyrirvari/Disclaimer
http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer