Re: dbms_scheduler(Diff host)

From: GovindanK <gkatteri_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:09:16 UT

Reason: Some 3rd party tools have provision to kick off/ fork jobs on non-database servers and co-ordinate the dependency. We thought of 'centralising' in a single database, and stop using the 3rd party tool (Solaris). Also during maintenances, every time a db has to be shutdown (not truly 24x7!! hmm) the cron jobs would need to be verified for the 'downtime' during the window and restarted. This can be avoided using the dbms_scheduler. The non-database jobs are for getting and sending processed info to / from the customer servers.

Govindan
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:56:54 -0500, "rjamya" <rjamya_at_gmail.com> said:

  another dumb question ...
  if 'cron' is working fine, why introduce dbms_scheduler? especially for non-database jobs? Follow the KISS principle.   Rjamya

On 1/30/07, GovindanK <[1]gkatteri_at_fastmail.fm> wrote:

But lot of our jobs are on servers where oracle is not installed and we are using cron. And some of these non-database jobs are related to each other.