RE: Oracle10.2.0.2/Solaris/Veritas cluster problem--caused by Veritas defrag of filesystem

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:25:26 -0800

I suppose that I am also surprised that we need to defragment the Veritas filesystems but apparently the Veritas best practices manual list defragmenting filesystems as a good thing.

..Insane! A filesystem with Oracle files in it will not get fragmented, unless there are a lot of concurrent tablespace autoextend opts happening on a regular basis (which would cause a lot of other problems). Oracle files are preallocated and filled with initialized blocks (CCF)....except TEMP tablespaces which are sparse.