Re: Oracle and DST changes

From: Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:17:53 -0800

I just realized that on one of my dev/test servers, Oracle was never upgraded from 10.1.0.3 to 10.1.0.5 (egg on face). There is no DST patch for 10.1.0.3 but I compared the old versions of the timezone files between the two patchsets and they are identical so I copied the new timezone files from 10.1.0.5 to 10.1.0.3 and called it good. The test query does return the correct time. I don't like doing spur-of-the-moment upgrades and this particular server and database are expected to be sunsetted sometime this century, so I decided not to quickly upgrade it. I may decide to do that later.

So, if you have 10.1.0.3 and can't upgrade to a higher 10gR1 patchset, there appears to be a workaround. If I encounter side-effects, I'll be sure to update the list.

Regards,
Mark Strickland