RE: What does an app need to do to work with RAC

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:55:51 -0800

Nigel,

Thank you, yes, the trigger uses DBMS_PIPE. I will pass that on to the developers and see what they have to say.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

From: Nigel Thomas [mailto:nigel_cl_thomas_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 10:05 AM
To: William Wagman
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: What does an app need to do to work with RAC

>>This is done using a trigger and a pipe from the accounts database
>>I can perform updates to from one node but not the second node.

Bill - is the system using a DBMS_PIPE kind of pipe? That only works within the context of a single instance (in 9i, 10g or any other release). If you have pipe 'sources' - ie calling send_message() - on an instance, you need 'sinks' - calling receive_message() - on the same instance.

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96612/d_pipe .htm#998100 and
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14258/d_pipe .htm#sthref5327 both start:

"The DBMS_PIPE package lets two or more sessions in the same instance communicate. "

HTH   Regards Nigel