Re: The Case Against Compound/Natural Keys

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:23:17 -0600

My database is actually more of an all-purpose hybrid. We have OLTP data where data is entered by sales and updated by customer service, etc. We then bulk-load call records and processed billing information (we are a telecom) that the customer service app uses when customers call about their bills or question a call. So we don't have fact vs dimension tables as you might find in an ideal DW instance.

To be precise, I don't hate natural keys for the sake of hating natural keys. It's the composite keys that I hate, and especially when there are no queries that such a large index would address.

These tables are already partitioned with local indexes. We are running the "rolling window" scenario, keeping the most recent 4 months.

Jack: are you suggesting that I put a foreign key constraint/index on the leading X number of fields already in my primary key constraint/index? Because that is what it would be, and is yet another exhibit of my frustration with this design (or lack thereof).

Don.