Re: What does an app need to do to work with RAC

From: Anand Rao <panandrao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:11:44 +0530

John,

allow me to recommend,

Chapter 16 - Developing Applications for RAC Oracle Real Application Clusters Handbook - K Gopalakrishnan http://www.amazon.com/Database-Application-Clusters-Handbook-Osborne/dp/007146509X/sr=1-1/qid=1169465566/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4962592-3676461?ie=UTF8&s=books

KG and i have documented some, if not all the reasons for an application not to work or scale on RAC. Note that the brief chapter is a discussion from a scalability / performance perspective and not necessarily from an operational / functional view, as your question seems to hint.

there is a need to define what you mean by "might not work on RAC"

  1. application won't start? are you are referring to a complete breakdown of the application / database?
  2. application "hangs" or doesn't respond after startup and connecting to database?
  3. transactions don't complete "on time"?

and so on...

if you are able to describe your apprehensions clearly, then you might get some more clues and answers.

As Anjo very rightly and accurately mentioned, contention is your biggest problem. The way in which your application accesses the data is a key factor and this is also what Tim has said very correctly in the orafaq forum.

Mladen does have a point. unless you know what each software module does inside the Oracle kernel, you may not find much use with x$kcbsw. Oracle Support might help you with that, if not the evangelists in this forum.

hope that helps,

best regards
anand