Re: What does an app need to do to work with RAC

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:59:55 -0500

On 01/29/2007 05:05:01 AM, Anjo Kolk wrote:
> John,
>
> The simple answer to this is: CONTENTION in the application in any form.
> What I mean with that is data block contention (the obvious one) but also
> ROW CACHE and LIBRARY cache contention. The problem is that synchronizing
> between instances will become more expensive if you need to do more of
> it.E.g having two nodes going after the same block will cost less than
> having 10 nodes going after the same block. The problem is not the number of
> nodes, but the contention for the block. So how can one predict what will
> happen you go to RAC from a single instance? There are a couple of simple
> things one can do to find out (v$latch, v$sysstat, x$kcbsw, etc.), but that
> is too much work for this email.

Anjo, I understand why would you want to look into v$latch and v$sysstat, but why in the world would a layman like me want to look into a table that defines wait per software module? The only query that used this table in my collection is the following:

SELECT WH.KCBWHDES "MODULE",SW.WHY0 "CALLS",SW.WHY2 "WAITS", SW."OTHER_WAIT" "CAUSED WAITS" FROM x$kcbwh WH, x$kcbsw SW
WHERE WH.indx = SW.indx
AND SW."OTHER_WAIT" > 0 ORDER BY SW."OTHER_WAIT" The author is, I believe, K. Gopalakrishnan and results look something like this:

MODULE                    CALLS      WAITS CAUSED WAITS
-------------------- ---------- ---------- ------------
kdswh01: kdstgr            5295          0            1
kdswh02: kdsgrp            5076          0            1
kdswh06: kdscgr            5600          0            1
kdiwh06: kdifbk            7283          0            1
kdiwh07: kdifbk           11247          0            1
kdiwh08: kdiixs            6973          0            1
kdiwh09: kdiixs            8057          0            4

7 rows selected.

Now, what can I do about these modules and why would I want to look into this table before "racifying" my database?

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com