Re: UNTO TBS behavior in 9i

From: Daniel W. Fink <daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:55:19 -0700

UNDO (both manual in 8i/9i/10g and auto in 9i/10g) entries are not before images of the blocks. They are actually change vectors containing only enough information to undo the change. For example, for an insert the undo vector is /*basically*/ just the row address and a delete indicator. There are index entries and block header entries (still not complete block images) as well.

For more details, you can read "Automatic Undo Internals" at http://www.optimaldba.com/papers/AutomaticUndoInternals.pdf

Regards,
Daniel Fink