Re: UNTO TBS behavior in 9i

From: NEW pop.tiscali.de <adolph.tony_at_tiscali.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:28:42 +0100

Hi all,

I think the retention setting is a red herring here. I *think* its a real basic issue. Someone posted the suggestion to use the append hint. I reckon this should work. You need to remember that for an insert the UNDO is a copy of the before image and if your inserting into 30G of blocks that have *some space* free, then all of these blocks need to be saved as UNDO.

Maybe your PCTFREE settings need looking at. Has a lot of data been deleted - this would leave a lot of free blocks that will end up in the UNDO. Perhaps you can rebuild the table before the insert ...or even truncate it?

Just ideas, hope they help
Cheers
Tony