RMAN recovery question...

From: DIANNA GIBBS <DIANNA.GIBBS_at_childrens.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:11:36 -0600

I'm new to RMAN and have a recovery question. We're recovering our test database to a point in time. The database is around 60 gig. When we start recovery, will RMAN re-create, restore and then recover all the database? And this may be a stupid question, but if more-current files are there, is RMAN intelligent enough to just restore the changed blocks? It was a full on-line backup. And depending on the answer, should I delete all the old files

or can I just leave them as is? What about channels, can I allocate more channels for a faster recovery?

Here's my script which I'm planning on doing command line:

rman target /
connect catalog rman_xxx_at_rcat

(password)

run {

     set until time "to_date('19-JAN-2007 18:00:00','DD-MON-YYYY HH24:MI:SS')";

     allocate channel ch1 type disk;
     restore controlfile ;
     alter database mount ;
     restore database ;
     recover database ;
     release channel ch1;

    }

Check to make sure temp tablespace is there

alter database open resetlogs;

Thanks so much-
 G.