Java stored procedures suddenly slow

From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich_at_pcci.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:21:07 -0600

I had a puzzling issue pop up this morning. The first time a session executes a java stored procedure, it takes an extremely long time to return. Every execution thereafter, within the same session, would return very quickly. For example, I executed a procedure to zip a 1 MB text file, and it took 84.6 seconds. I ran it again and it only took 0.14 seconds.

I can accept that something might take a little longer the first time it's executed, but I've never seen it perform this poorly. A trace shows that all of the time is spent executing. So far Google hasn't been much help. Any ideas?

Windows Server 2003
Oracle 10.2.0.2 Standard Edition
JAccelerator is installed.

Jason Heinrich