Re: Oracle and DST changes

From: Barbara Baker <barb.baker_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:33:34 -0700

ok,here's the entire blurb from 359145.1

In Oracle10 the data dictionary uses TSTZ types. Therefore it is more likely that affected data is used:
1. If no TSTZ or TSLTZ types are used outside of the data dictionary, *and *the TZ_OFFSET function is not used, *and *the dictionary TSTZ columns do not use the *affected *time zones, the patch is *not needed*. 2. If TSTZ or TSLTZ types or or the TZ_OFFSET function are used outside the dictionary, but do not use the *affected *time zones, *and *the dictionary TSTZ columns do not use the *affected *time zones either, the patch is *not needed*.
3. When any data, either in the dictionary *or *in the user data *or *in the usage of time zones in PL/SQL, uses the *affected *time zones, then the *patch is needed*.

Is it just me, or does #1 contradict #3 ? ? ? And what exactly is affected time zones. I thought it was an area of the U.S. where the time zone change will occur. But #3 says "when data . . . uses the affected time zones" I interpret this to mean when there is some code using the TSTZ or TSLTZ.

I'm with Tom on this one. We have JVM installed, but no Java procedures. I'm interpreting this to mean I don't need the patch.

This is about as clear as mud to me . . .

Barb