RE: Oracle and DST changes

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:06:10 -0500

The Oracle notes also suggests that if you have JVM installed that you upgrade it. I have JVM installed in the database but only because our Curam applications calls it for transaction processing. My gut feeling is that I don't need to upgrade.

Any thoughts?

I also agree about not patching anything if I'm not using Time Zone data types. We only have one 10.2.0.2 database and I'm not too worried about it.

The big pain in the arse is upgrading all of the Oracle clients. Hundreds of desktops to upgrade.

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of GovindanK Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 7:27 PM
To: Mark Strickland
Cc: John.Fedock_at_us.kline.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Oracle and DST changes

The one off patch which Oracle is suggesting is 4689959 per Metalink Note 359145.1 ; You would need to patch Solaris as well. http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102178-1
<http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102178-1> if
not already done.

 I recommend you take a look at Table 2 of Note:359145.1 which in turn leads to Note:396387.1 for Solaris 64-Bit.

HTH GovindanK

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:58:49 -0800, "Mark Strickland"
<strickland.mark_at_gmail.com> said:

        Note #402742.1 explains the issue pretty well. I didn't know that there actually is a one-off patch available for some versions of Oracle on some platforms. I'm undecided about whether or not I'm going to apply the one-off patch. Looks like a very low-risk patch. I certainly cannot consider moving to the 10.2.0.3 <http://10.2.0.3/> patchset. We're are on 10.1.0.5 <http://10.1.0.5/> ( Solaris 9 64-bit), do not use java inside the database, do not use TSTZ or TSLTZ outside of the data dictionary and the TZ_OFFSET function is not used, BUT we are in an affected time zone ( U.S. Pacific). If the data dictionary columns that use TSTZ or TSLTZ are only related to the Scheduler, then it seems low risk to me to let the Scheduler be off by an hour for a few weeks. We do not use the Scheduler for any application-related things. It's just the automatic statistics gathering that's affected as far as I can tell. I'll be interested in hearing more about what folks decide to do.

	Regards,
	Mark Strickland
	Seattle, WA