UNTO TBS behavior in 9i

From: Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:19:19 -0800

Hi all,

We are running a batch process to insert data from one table to another. The data inserted is over than 10 million rows. We had about 20GB of UNDO tablespace. UNDO_RETENTION is 7200. When we start the insert process no other process runs and all the time during the insert process nothing else runs. We insert about 5.5 Gb of data including indexes.

We have the problem of running out of space in the UNDO TBS. The process erred out thrice due to lack of space in UNTO TBS. It is now set at 30G and is already 100% full. Why would the UNDO take so much space even though the data inserted is so less AND there is no simultaneous database activity. Only active processes other than this insert process is the Oracle background processes.

Ram.