Re: Oracle 817 freezing

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:44:22 -0600

Richard,

Not lately. Here is what I would do if I were you:

  1. Observe the Solaris processes. When this occurs, is the CPU pegged or idle?
  2. Install STATSPACK, and get ready to take a snapshot when this occurs. Take a snapshot and then take another snapshot. I think Oracle has a script you can run (something like "orahang"??). Anyway my experience has been with STATSPACK. So you can fire off a snapshot, answer a couple of phone calls from paniced managers so they realize you are taking their needs seriously, then it'll be about time to take another snapshot. For me it has usually captured enough info to diagnose the problem.

Dennis Williams