Purging alert log files

From: Kline.Michael <Michael.Kline_at_SunTrust.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:00:36 -0500

How often are you purging(and cutting copies of) alert logs???

Currently we are doing this to purge our log file. For a while on some boxes they were doing this all the time so that our "backup" directory had may be hundreds of "alert logs" with time stamps. Of course if you wanted to "grep" for something you could, but often that gave so many hits that needed to be ignored as old alertlog copies didn't count.

Larger alert logs, 1 year or so, allow us to look to see if this happened in the past.

Also, I'm thinking there is a strong possibility that we could lose data on this. I've seen it sometimes take 5-15 seconds just to tail the alert log.

Currently:

cp $LOG_NAME $LOG_NAME.prev

/usr/bin/gzip -c $LOG_NAME.prev >

$ORA_LOG/$ORACLE_SID"_"$LOG_NAME"_"`date +%H:%M_%d-%h-%Y`.gz

cat /dev/null > $LOG_NAME

Maybe should:

cp $LOG_NAME $LOG_NAME.prev

cat /dev/null > $LOG_NAME

/usr/bin/gzip -c $LOG_NAME.prev >

$ORA_LOG/$ORACLE_SID"_"$LOG_NAME"_"`date +%H:%M_%d-%h-%Y`.gz

I also usually purge once per year, or maybe once per month. On one test box, we "rotate" when we refresh the database.

Michael Kline
Tel: 804.261.9446 Net: 643.9446

Cell: 804.744.1545
michael.kline_at_suntrust.com <mailto:michael.kline_at_suntrust.com>

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of SunTrust Banks, Inc. [ST:XCL]