RE: how to evaluate optimizer_index_caching

From: Polarski, Bernard <Bernard.Polarski_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:24:12 +0100

Thanks for the resource. I read it and it is the most complete up to now I ever found. I noticed 2 recommandations :

  1. First one is an implicit opinion taken out of a diagram in the pdf:

"If most of the executions plan are good then do not Modify optimizer_index_caching/cost_adj"

First glance, sound wise words but ... it is a big problem to assert that an SQL plan is optimal and you have to do it on 'most' SQL? In practical, it is not feasible to study a whole DB just to respond to one question. But at least there is a price on the question.

b) "With system statistics, the default value is usually good"

Which reformulate point a: if you don't know, don't touch.

So we have a least an answer: study all the DB and if most of the SQL plan are not good then tweak the values of optimizer_inder_caching/cost_adj.
No surprising that there is so little resource on these parameters. When I google on it, I got 'optimizer_index_(xxx).. blabla ... favour index access blabla...' and that's it.

Bernard Polarski
Oracle DBA