java.sql.SQLException: Non supported character set: oracle-character-set-1

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 07:46:34 -0700

I got stuck with this problem because the error has the word SQL and oracle in it so everyone assumes it's an Oracle issue. I know nothing about Java which is hampering my research of the problem.

Background>>
We have a file daemon that is started on both production and test servers to process input files from our customers. The file processes correctly on production; it does not process at all on test. When the developer processes it from her OS login on test, it works.

When the production file was processed it was initially to the database on an RHEL3, Oracle 9.2.0.5 platform; test is still that platform. Files continue to be processed correctly on the new production platform RHEL4, Oracle 9.2.0.8.

Error stack from Java:
2007-01-11 10:30:42,089 [Thread-0] INFO daemon.infiledaemon - Polling csfile customer directories.
2007-01-11 10:30:42,424 [Thread-0] INFO daemon.infiledaemon - Polling rtfile customer directories.
2007-01-11 10:30:42,793 [Thread-0] INFO code.CodeProcessor - rtfile file 'testSign' received from TO.
2007-01-11 10:30:42,925 [Thread-0] ERROR code.CodeProcessor - java.sql.SQLException: Non supported character set: oracle-character-set-1 java.sql.SQLException: Non supported character set: oracle-character-set-1

        *at oracle.gss.util.NLSError.throwSQLException(NLSError.java:46)
*        at oracle.sql.CharacterSetUnknown.failCharsetUnknown(
CharacterSetFactoryThin.java:171)
        at oracle.sql.CharacterSetUnknown.convert(
CharacterSetFactoryThin.java:135)
        at oracle.sql.CHAR.<init>(CHAR.java:159)
        at oracle.sql.CHAR.<init>(CHAR.java:183)
        at oracle.jdbc.oracore.OracleTypeCHAR.toDatum(OracleTypeCHAR.java

:161)
at oracle.jdbc.oracore.OracleType.toDatumArray(OracleType.java:166) at oracle.jdbc.oracore.OracleTypeCHAR.toDatumArray( OracleTypeCHAR.java:208) at oracle.sql.ArrayDescriptor.toOracleArray(ArrayDescriptor.java
:1517)
at oracle.sql.ARRAY.<init>(ARRAY.java:132) at tz.jdbc.ArrayFactory.getString(ArrayFactory.java:39) at tz.daemon.code.CodeProcessor.insertrtfile(CodeProcessor.java
:1045)
at tz.daemon.code.CodeProcessor.createDoc(CodeProcessor.java:828) at tz.daemon.code.CodeProcessor.endrtfile(CodeProcessor.java:548) at tz.daemon.code.CodeParser.parse(CodeParser.java:180) at tz.daemon.code.CodeProcessor.processFile(CodeProcessor.java:363) at tz.daemon.infiledaemon.processFile(infiledaemon.java:390) at tz.daemon.infiledaemon.pollInbox(infiledaemon.java:339) at tz.daemon.infiledaemon.run(infiledaemon.java:241)

<<
The scripts that set the environment for the daemon startup are complex and have a lot of garbage in them so it's taking me some time to troll through them. I believe that there must be some difference in the way the test daemon is started--environment setup, additional or different scripts called by primary script, etc.--vs. the way the production daemon is started. From my reading, I suspect that the NLS error I highlighted above is where I should focus.

Am I on the right track or going down a the wrong path? Metalink hasn't bee much help so far. Any insights will be appreciated. Thank you.

Sandy