RE: Oracle Streams Question

From: Polarski, Bernard <Bernard.Polarski_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:47:32 +0100

A Four node multimaster, I wish you good luck, I am impressed by the requirement.

Your biggest problem will be to clean the backlog of distributed action on the 3 remaining nodes for streams never forget a

transaction that has not been replicated. So you will end with all your archive logs still on your arch dir, for RMAN since version 10 will not delete them after backup as long as Logminer still claim them for a transaction to distribute.

Once you will have recreated the DB, preferably with a new SID and DBID, restore and populated the tables objects,

you will have to deal with this backlog awaiting on each nodes. Since at that moment, on every other node, your sending queue would have spill over on disk into various exception queues, you will have lot of fun to clean this mess, which contains only generic objects, so you will have to dig in and find one by one which are those objects that needs to be cleared and which a real one actually for others node.

In case you are still there, you will have to reinstantiate all queues but since it is a multimaster it can be quite tricky when one of the node has cannot insert rows due to missing FK or you have at this stage already duplicated the content of one the 3 others node into the fourth one. There will be plenty of others problems but anyway, I am quite confident that a lot of people will be eager to read about how you have solved all this.

Bernard Polarski

Oracle DBA

From: Sanjay Mishra [mailto:smishra_97_at_yahoo.com]

If I have 4 database with 4-way Oracle Streams setup means all changes on one server are pushed to all other 3 servers and vice versa. If I loose one Database due to Disk problem and have no backup. If I will create the new Database on the Server where I had the disk issue, then how I can re-instantiate all DB server so that they all can talk to the newly created database.

Tx

Sanjay