RE: 32 Bit to 64 bit

From: Sweetser, Joe <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:50:00 -0700

Agreed. I have done just that in a 10g environment (10.1 to 10.2) on Windows and I think doing it on Solaris could only be better. But note I am somewhat biased towards Unix (full disclosure). Metalink Note 62290.1 "Changing between 32-bit and 64-bit Word Sizes" has some pretty good info on it.

From that note:

The only internal structural differences between the 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle installations are the following:

The compiled format of PL/SQL is different. The instructions for how and when to recompile PL/SQL are provided in the appropriate chapters of the Migration book. The storage format of user-defined types is based on the release of Oracle that created the database. The existing storage format will be converted to the correct format transparently when necessary. User-defined types include object types, REFs, varrays, and nested tables.

From: [] On Behalf Of Bobak, Mark Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:42 AM To:; Subject: RE: 32 Bit to 64 bit

I don't have the 10gR2 installation notes in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure you can go straight from 32 to 64 bit.

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect
ProQuest Information & Learning
There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which shouldn't be done at all.  -Peter F. Drucker, 1909-2005

________________________________________ From: [] On Behalf Of Sanjay Mishra Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:19 PM To: Subject: 32 Bit to 64 bit Hi
I had 8i (32 Bit) Database (  on Solaris 2.8 (64bit) system. Now I want to upgrade the 8i Database to 10g Release 2(64 bit). What will be the correct procedure.
Do I need to upgrade firstly from 8i (32bit) to 8i (64bit) or I can go directly from 8i(32 Bit) to Oracle 10g Rel2 (64bit)
Tx Sanjay ________________________________________ Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates. --