Oracle Fail Safe

From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich_at_pcci.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:30:31 -0600

I am looking into ways to make a Standard Edition 10gR2 database (Windows 2003) more bullet-proof. After running a test 2-node SE RAC for a while and reading the recent extensive discussion on SE RAC, it seems that the complexity and diminished stability nearly negates the redundancy of the second node. A standby database, on the other hand, would result in downtime before someone could switch over to the standby.

Since this database is on Windows, it looks like Fail Safe would make a good compromise between the previous two options. Plus, I wouldn't be forced to store my data in ASM, like SE RAC. I would be grateful to hear other people's opinions and advice about Fail Safe in particular, and other HA options of SE.

Jason Heinrich
Oracle Database Administrator
Pensacola Christian College

--