RE: DataGuard

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:41:17 +0100

Chris,

Read Expert Oracle Database Architecture, and/or Effective Oracle by design, both by Tom Kyte. And require your developers to read them too. Examine their knowledge after they told you they've read it. You're lucky. Your app hasn't been written yet.

Recently I got called in to a hosting center, to tune a database supporting an application that had to run 1.8 million transactions. Small transactions, roughly consisting of filling up a new table with 1.8 million rows. No big deal, I guessed/assumed. However, it turned out the Java guys screwed up the thing so badly that it couldn't complete more than 10.000 a day(!), producing over 60 GB of redo. They heavily used their version of temporary tables, shifting the data through the database many times. Everything was performed on a row by row basis, with tons of commits. This app appeared to be not optimized for minimum redo generation. Of course the bad performance was all to be blamed to the DBA's. Than it turned out that the owner of the development company was related to some director of the customer, and by definition their software was declared perfect. It was a snakepit full of politics. I gave up and withdrew.

Bottomline, to answer your question:

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 14:20 +1300, Borrill, Christopher wrote:
> I have been following this discussion with interest, as I know our
> customer is concidering a solution similar to this for a new database
> and application we are about to write, but I have one question.
>
> How do you optimise an application for minimum redo generation?

By design!

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===