Re: Data Pump and compress on the fly in Unix

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:56:01 -0700

Sorry -- this reply may be a little outdated.

To my knowledge, SQLserver does not run on AIX.

I'm sure that I tinkered with compressed filesystems on AIX (undoubtedly at somebody else's insistance) but quickly abandoned them as being too slow for my purposes. But they *do* exist. That may have been AIX4, I think, but the same should be available on AIX5... Sadly, its been some time since I've had access to any AIX documentation, so I can't say much more on this.

With the huge variety of filesystems and mount option on Linux, I'd be amazed if a compressed filesystem option didn't exist somewhere.

I have little doubt that filesystem-level compression exists on numerous operating systems other than the OS-whose-name-cannot-be-said.

Of course, my limited experience with such suggests that you'd have to be either crazy or desperate to use them. The 700 GB disk drive option may well be a better choice for most.

Oh well, I did say it was a "silly" suggestion, didn't I?

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead