MacOS X firewire RAC possible?

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:27:09 -0800

I inherited a set of 4 Mac Minis with MacOS X Server 10.3.4 and a matching 4-port firewire drive. Naturally I thought, "I'll build a tiny Oracle 10g RAC cluster!"

My trouble is that I can't seem to get more than one Mac to talk to the firewire drive raw partitions at a time. I know that there are special kernel modules for Linux to allow multi-host access of firewire-drive. Additionally, I am aware that newer Linux kernels can I guess there is no such feature in MacOS X Server.

Has anyone solved this? I know PSOUG/Dan Morgan built a nice Mac RAC, but I think they used enterprise-class equipment and a SAN. I'm looking to build a science project rather than a performance-oriented cluster.

I'm thinking I might have to devote one of the Macs to being an NFS server for the disk, and do it that way. Seems a shame just because of kernel blocking at the volume level.

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net