Re: Data Pump and compress on the fly in Unix

From: James Foronda <James.Foronda_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:22:37 -0500

Robert Pegram wrote:
> I opened a tar specifically asking if ZFS was supported. The analyst came back and stated explicitly that it was not supported. When I pressed the analyst for more information, basically I got the response that Oracle will try, but not commit, to support us if we use ZFS, but they (Oracle) would not "certify" this configuration. At that point I passed the information along to management, and I am not sure which direction we are headed.
>
> Rob Pegram
> Duke University

Hmm... that is very interesting.

AFAIK, there have been conflicting messages from Oracle. I know that some people at Sun have said that according to someone from Oracle certification team (not support team), Oracle does not certify against a filesystem (unless it is a cluster filesystem) and that certification is done against an OS release. I also know that in the past, there was a statement from Oracle regarding "specific Solaris features" (such as Zones and ZFS?) being evaluated or something like that. Since then, Solaris Zones has been certified against stand-alone Oracle databases... but as far as ZFS is concerned, there seems to have been no specific effort to have it certified independently.

Let me see if I can find out something more...

James
http://jforonda.blogspot.com