Re: Data Pump and compress on the fly in Unix

From: James Foronda <James.Foronda_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:58:58 -0500

Leng,

Leng Kaing wrote:
> Sorry, I think I missed something here... ZFS is just another file
> system. It's NOT a compressed file system, right?

Yes, ZFS is a filesystem (and a volume manager rolled into one). It has a 'compress' option so it can be either compressed or uncompressed. I'll try to post a couple of examples in my blog either today or this weekend.

 > Anyone knows when Oracle will be supporting ZFS?

To the best of my knowledge (meaning I could be wrong), Oracle does not certify against a filesystem unless that filesystem is a cluster filesystem. They certify against the OS release so they don't specifically state that ZFS is certified in their site. But I've also read somewhere that sometimes, they will explicitly NOT support something (pxfs?). It's kinda confusing sometimes.. :(

James
http://jforonda.blogspot.com