RE: Data Pump and compress on the fly in Unix

From: Leng Kaing <Leng.Kaing_at_hsntech.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:25:59 +1100

My biggest disappointment with data pump at the moment is this fact - I can't continue to compress on the fly like I did with exports. I have an issue at the moment where floating data types are not support with export and have been told to use data pump.

For all the goodies that data pump is supposed to provide, you would think that it compresses more than the metadata. What about the rest of the data? I know disks are supposed to be cheap now but we all know how hard it is to get the company to pay for it. I would gladly convert to data pump if I can compress on the fly too.

Imagine presenting this to management: I need more disk to use data pump because it does not allow compress on the fly. And the reason I need to use data pump is because exp doesn't support a data type that is currently used by Oracle BAM.

Management will say: they are both Oracle's product - BAM either has to change data type, or data pump has to compress and use the same space as before.

I've logged an SR with Oracle and the analyst tells me that the unix "compress" command is not recommended in the first place. I should not be compressing export dumps either from exp or data pump. What the heck is going on here? I've never heard of this one before. I've been using it for years without problems. There are even metalink notes to guide us through that. I've said the very same thing to him and he's now working on his response.

ARGH!!

Leng Kaing

Senior Oracle DBA

Hansen Technologies; 2 Frederick St; Doncaster 3108

Ph: +61-3-9840-3832