RE: Data Pump and compress on the fly in Unix

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:44:13 -0800

Mark,

Check the Oracle Database Utilities Manual 10g Release 2 (10.2) part Number B14215-01 Chapter 1, towards the end. The section titled Original Export and Import versusData Pump Export and Import explicitly states that Sequential media such as tapes and pipes are not supported. Given that the data pump can be parallelized it seems to make sense. Then again, given that the parallel parameter only works in the Enterprise Edition.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center