RE: Datafile header surgery

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:22:24 -0500

Adam,

Oracle does not document the datafile header format. There are probably a few various papers floating around that document some of the info to some degree, but it's mostly just guess work that people have been able to work out. Also, the bbed tool, which I'm not going to get into great detail on, can also provide some insight into block and header formats.

"The database is in development and therefore isn't backed up..." Hmm...interesting strategy, can't say that I agree, though....

Since you have nothing to lose, first, make a copy of the corrupted datafile, then have at it. Look at non-corrupted data files, maybe you'll be able to fix the problem....?

If you are successful, let us all know about it!

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which shouldn't be done at all. -Peter F. Drucker, 1909-2005