RE: Rollback waiting on 'cache buffer chains' latch - SOLVED

From: Ajay <ajay_1ajay_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:56:10 -0800 (PST)

Yes. It would help to know the steps.
  Sometimes if we kill at sqlplus level using alter system it is not possible to get the corresponding OS session and it keeps hanging in 'KILLED' status. Is that what happened or did it hang even after you did

  1. kill at oracle sqlplus level using alter system
  2. kill at OS level using kill -9 and even after that you had to do a bounce.

  I think it is better to get the OS session id and save it before doing the alter system at sqlplus level. I think kill at OS level was suggested by Stauffer, Robert early on.

  Another question would be : was this KILLED session being locked out by some other session? Was that checked? I know the wait event was 'cache buffer chains' but just asking if you checked .

  Can you share the details for our benefit. Thanks

Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com wrote:
  Not sure if I followed the steps exactly, so did you issue the kill -9 first? The point being that I believe it is best to kill the oracle session first with alter system -- and background processes can clean up better.

If you did the session first, then disregard.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546