RE: JAVA Developer

From: Giovanni Cuccu <giovanni.cuccu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:07:26 +0100

Hi all,

    I'd like to contribute to this discussion. The first thing I'd ask to a Java developer in order to develop an Oracle application is:
1)How oracle differs from othe databases in respect to java programming? 2)How do manage these differences?
The programmer should point out something related to bind variables
(their importance and when to use them) and possibly to the locking
model (writers never block readers).
I think that an answer containing the two previous issues would be a good starting point.
Someone in the replies pointed out how to bind prepared statements and to bind them only once. The latest JDBC driver offers a transparent method to cache prepared statements and to prepare them only once. A Java developer with some Oracle understanding should know how to enable these feature and the net effect (less soft parses). I read some discussion about orm tools (Hibernate and toplink IIRC). I don't know Toplink but my opinion is that Hibernate is NOT the right tool for developing complex Oracle applications. The main Hibernate
(togehter with the new java JPA specifications) drawback is that the
programmer write HQL (Hibernate query language) query that gets translated into SQL. It's true that you can write SQL query but this is viewed as an second class citizen. In addition the query tends to be embedded in the code.
If you want to use only two languages (java and sql), use bind variables programmatically and keep the sql out of the code with little or no effort you can use the reverse approcach, i.e. instead of mapping java objects to sql you map sql to java objects. There is a free tool called ibatis that does offers all the feature described before.
It offers Spring integration and much more. IMHO every java/oracle developer should care about ibatis and know how to use it effectively.
Just my 2 eurocents.
Giovanni

Another free oracle resource profiler
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oraresprof/