Re: SQL *Net more data from client - waiting too long

From: Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 18:09:55 -0500

I strongly agree with Niall and Mark.

A slow performing application is a business problem. When push comes to shove, the business doesn't care who is responsible -DBA, Network Administrator, Developer - they just want the problem fixed. It can only be good if others eventually recognize that you are someone that goes the extra mile to keep things running. Long story short, defining a responsibility silo out of which you, as a DBA will not venture, does a disservice to the business and your career.

On 1/9/07, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/9/07, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It means exactly what it says, the session is awaiting data from the
> > client (probably the app server. You can most likely address this by
> >
> > 1. sending more data at once - hence Jared's suggestion to get the
> > network admin involved I guess - this involves mtu settings from memory (to
> > be honest networks are mostly electric string with flashing lights to me,
> > sorry).
> >

> That, and looking for misconfigurations. I recently got a network expert
> involved
> when network times were very bad. A misconfigured card was the problem.
>
> He cleared it up in minutes. I would not have been able to find that.
>
> --
> Jared Still

Rumpi Gravenstein