RE: Rollback waiting on 'cache buffer chains' latch

From: Andrey Kriushin <Andrey.Kriushin_at_rdtex.ru>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 01:57:39 +0300 (MSK)

Allen,

Have you checked that v$session.wait_time=0 for sid=664, i.e. that this session is actually in wait right now?

Is there any news from PMON in the alert.log & pmon's .trc? Probably PMON is in trouble or too busy with rollback of some other session(s). AFAIK it rolls back 20 undo blocks at once than sleeps etc.

HANGANALYZE also may give you some clue on what is going on there. The steps are

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
oradebug setmypid
oradebug hanganalyze 3
oradebug tracefile_name
exit

You can search the trace with the sid number of the problem session and the sid number of PMON.

One more thing to check - if that session is part of distributed transaction. Check v$lock for 'DX' type of lock. If this is the case, probably you'll need an access to remote db and kill appropriate process there.

If PMON isn't in trouble then probably (! think twice !) you may wake up the PMON (via oradebug wakeup)

Seems, I'm a bit late, but HTH.