Re: Compressing Oracle SW directories and files

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:37:41 +0000

On 1/8/07, Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com> wrote:

> I did spot that the reference was specifically SW files, though given that
> even my somewhat bloated laptop 10gr2 install is only 1.88gb without any
> management of the logs in it, I'd hoped/guessed that the database/logs were
> included. My expectation is that compressing the software directory will
> also technically work, but I have never been that desparate for space.
>
> …when they are uncompressed they will likely have messed up permission
> though, no?

I was talking about the compression offered by the ntfs filesystem - since I think v5. Permissions are unaffected, you just access the files directly, there's no need to know that they are even compressed. Nice feature for shared unstructured data stores (like home folders), bad idea for infrastructure software like databases/email systems and the like.

Don't datafiles and arch_logs end up in the $ORACLE_HOME directory by
> default on all platforms? $ORACLE_HOME/dbs on *nix i thought.
>
> ORACLE_BASE/oradata if it exists…at least that is what I see

Good point, the word default is a bit ambiguous these days. I meant what happened when you used the DATAFILE clause in a create tablespace/create database statement and specified the file name and not the directory. I think ORACLE_BASE/oradata is the default that you get when using dbca? ORACLE_BASE tends not to exist on windows by the way - though it does get respected if it is set.

cheers

Niall

--
Niall Litchfield