RE: JAVA Developer

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:55:04 -0500

Thanks,

I haven't gotten that far, but I am not expecting to much from him at this point as far as modeling goes. However, I'll explore that later this week with the other side.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Laimutis Nedzinskas Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 4:44 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: JAVA Developer

data modeller is aware of applicaton logic. At least in all Case or not Case methods I know.

Anyway - if Java developer is going to make a data model then I would not bet on the project success. Unless it is 2 tables schema.

if this is the dreaded case that java developer is going to model data then ask him/her about data normalization.

Then ask him about role entities or tables or classes, whatever (the other term is "party" patern)

If he fails then he is not a decent data modeler, period.

See the discussion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_modeling:

The entities represented by a data model can be the tangible entities, but models that include such concrete entity classes tend to change over time. Robust data models often identify abstractions <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstraction> of such entities. For example, a data model might include an entity class called "Person", representing all the people who interact with an organization. Such an abstract entity class is typically more appropriate than ones called "Vendor" or "Employee", which identify specific roles played by those people.

if he gets that far then primary, unique key and referential constraints are "must know and love"

Finaly if he knows how to design security then not that bad, not that bad.

From: Mindaugas Navickas [mailto:mnavickas_at_yahoo.com] Sent: 8. janúar 2007 17:48
To: Laimutis Nedzinskas; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: JAVA Developer

Laimutis,

I wouldn't be so strict on this... Data Model should reflect business requirements (do not tell me that database layer has to be bussiness-logic-free :-) ). How can DBA or data modeller design data model without knowing application logic? This knowledge should be passed from middle-tier developer to database modeller. Good communication between application developers and data modeller is critical. The issue araises when application developer assumes role of data modeller without beeing qualified for that but I can not state that all Java developers are not qualified for data modelling.

Fyrirvari/Disclaimer
http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer <http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer>