RE: JAVA Developer

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:57:22 -0500

Yes, my first impression is how you develop java classes before knowing what the schema looks like, but I'm the neophyte for these purposes.

I got one response as follows: Any elaborations? Someone touch on hibernate, (and toplink) again or me.

"2 basic areas of potential conflict are how the object domain model is
managed relative to physical database design, and the other is result set persistence relative to transaction concurrency.

Many java architects/developers believe that the object model should translate directly to the physical DB model. If you as the DBA allow that, your database manageability, including performance, is doomed. When you perform physical design, you'll be breaking some of their object classes, which can potentiall cause a ton of angst. In order to gain decent performance, you'll have to stick to your design guns, and if the JAVA person doesn't understand how the handoff works between object modeling and database modeling, there may be a lot of arguing.

Persistence is another hot button. If they believe in using a third party persistence engine, such as a Hibernate, this can lend itself to a lot of ambiguity between what the overall database transaction mix is doing on disk and what the result set that the persistence engine is managing for the long-running transaction that may want to execute updates/deletes based on what it sees. Content management can become problematic if the applications is not coded properly, and these can quickly become YOUR problem if you're not diligent during development."

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546
904 727-2546

From: Kerber, Andrew [mailto:Andrew.Kerber_at_umb.com] Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 2:19 PM
To: oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com; Patterson, Joel Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: JAVA Developer

I would love to hear the answer that you expect to hear for that, since the answer I would give is the Java classes would be derived from the data model.

Andrew W. Kerber
Oracle DBA
UMB
"If at first you dont succeed, dont take up skydiving"