RE: JAVA Developer

From: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:18:59 -0800 (PST)

just for some fun..

  if he is a good productive java developer, he probably doesn't bother with all that type of stuff.. he says that's what the java container and/or O/R Mapping tools do for you..

  He will say, I use Oracle's toplink/ADF BC or hibernate and I map objects to tables, and it generates the SQL with all the bind variables. no need for interfacing with your stored procedures, no need for worrying about pagination (it does that).

  Be prepared for that type of thing and don't immediately dismiss the O/R mapping tools as a viable means for mundane persistence or the preferred J2EE developers approach.

  those tools (toplink anyway), supports stored procedures, so you can still reign in those kind of folks if you need to. :)

  ADF BC (the follow-on java framework that replaces forms), is another bind-variable, pagination database friendly framework for retrieving/persisting data.

  Job

Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is> wrote:

      @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } A:visited { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } P { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto } SPAN.EmailStyle19 { COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal-reply } DIV.Section1 { page: Section1 } Ask if he has heard about strong typing. Is he going to use strings for dates? Does he actualy know  there is a date datatype in most of rdbms'es ? Does he suspect that date may be a datetime in some of them? Is he going to rely on implicit conversion or he already knows there is a function to convert string to/from date ? May be he even knows that format mask can be explicitely specified ?

  Ask if he has heard about bind variables to start with. Then ask how he is going to implement them. Ask to show (pseudo)code samples.

  The ask some more advanced questions like what he thinks how rdbms finds one particular row out of 100T rows? Does he suspect that "where like '%java%'" can be tricky? May be he even has an idea how rdbms can order rows? May be he suspects that condition (b=1 or a=2) can be a culprit?

  May be he has some idea that statement.execute means some network roundtrips to the server?

  From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com Sent: 8. janúar 2007 16:36
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: JAVA Developer

    We are getting ready to hire a JAVA Developer, and I was asked if I wanted to ask some questions relating to the database.... or to see if we get along.

  Connection pooling comes to mind, not imbedding code that would become a cpu issue, etc.

  Not having much experience with Java, do anyone have questions I could entertain? Some of you may have had such an experience already, and could pass on a couple questions you wish you had asked, or would ask next time.

    Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546