Re: Compressing Oracle SW directories and files

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:24:28 +0100 (CET)

Niall,

Yes, you're right. I stand corrected. I assume this is due to the FACT that I see the good old OFA standards obeyed a lot more on *N*X platforms than on Windows........

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===

> Carel-Jan,
>
> I did spot that the reference was specifically SW files, though given
that even my somewhat bloated laptop 10gr2 install is only 1.88gb without any management of the logs in it, I'd hoped/guessed that the database/logs were
> included. My expectation is that compressing the software directory will
also technically work, but I have never been that desparate for space.

> Don't datafiles and arch_logs end up in the $ORACLE_HOME directory by
default on all platforms? $ORACLE_HOME/dbs on *nix i thought.