RE: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:47:00 -0800

>>BTW: we took 16CPU P5nn route. It just works.

...I don't want to start a religious war, but I have to say that System p p5XX servers have got to be about the best thing going now...and I bet there aren't many people out there that know the lineage of the P595. The P595 is begat of the S85 Regatta which was begat of the S80 which was the big brother of the S70 which was an adaptation of the S7A which was a re-fit OS/400 box straight out of Rochester Minn... ask Hal Kossman some time...

I'll never forget the time I spent in Austin benchmarking the S80 (AIX 4.3.1) and Sequent NUMA-Q 2000 (Dynix/PTX) side by side... very interesting things learned about the difference betweena BIG system and FAST system...getting those two aspects into one server has been difficult over the years.