RE: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:23:53 -0800

Well on systems with 2 or 4 processors typically doing small amounts of work at a time for say 2-500 concurrent users and often with an overnight window for batch, how much benefit is PQO in practice? I'd probably also suggest that if you do want PQO then there is a fair chance that you'll want Partitioning as well, so you'd probably have to really, really want to make that

...well, a modern two way can move about 350MB/s with PQO doing goodies like index creation and statistics updating and only about 40-60MB/s without it...and that has nothing to do with partitioning. With a decent SAN, a 2 node cluster of 2 CPU servers can scale that as well. I can see how a 2 user system could do without PQO, but then a 2 user system should not be capitalized by a company opting instead for hosted I should think.