Re: Oracle on windows 2003 on vmware

From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich_at_pcci.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:41:16 -0600

I came to the same conclusion. Fine for test and development, not so good for a live box. Still, Ron did indicate that they would be using ESX server on production, so that would remove the host OS from the equation and speed things up a bit. Out of curiosity Ron, what VMWare product were you using in your testing?

On 1/3/07 3:23 PM, Carlson, Todd wrote:

> We looked into Oracle on VMware and came to the conclusion that it wasnąt a
> good idea for performance reasons. VMware adds an additional and slow IO layer
> between oracle and the platters: VMware -> OS -> LVM -> Disk. As a result, IO
> performance is not good. We do use this setup for development and test
> databases where performance is not important.

Jason Heinrich
Oracle Database Administrator
Pensacola Christian College
(850) 478-8496 x2509