Re: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 16:05:17 +0000

On 1/3/07, Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Standard Edition RAC can be useful, I am sure. And I have little doubt
> that somebody is using it. Somewhere. But I would think that an
> application that genuinely requires the "high availability" offered by RAC
> while simultaneously living comfortably within the limits of a 4 CPU
> cluster would be a very rare combination.

Personally I see RAC as a SCALABILITY and not and AVAILABILITY solution. certainly I've seen more downtime on RAC installations in the last couple of years than on single-instance solutions. This could of course be my incompetence, but single instance database don't ever suffer from losing track of which nodes are in the cluster. They don't suffer from CRS restarting the node for reasons that support couldn't explain and so on.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA