Re: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 21:01:14 -0700

Hmmm.... Where to start with this one?

Okay. First, Standard Edition. Yes, I have lots of clients who use Standard Edition. Many use Standard Edition (or Standard Edition One) exclusively. With multi-core processors, Standard Edition One can cost as little as about 1/16th as much as Enterprise Edition (per processor). If you don't happen to need (really need) features available only in Enterprise Edition, the cost differential (for both licensing and maintenance) can be quite compelling. In some cases, this difference can run to millions of dollars!

In the past 5 or 6 years, I have seen much more SE than EE. And for very solid reasons.

Standard Edition with RAC? I have never had a client who used this combination. While it is true that RAC is "free" with Standard Edition (but not available at all with Standard Edition One) you are severely limited. You must use (only) ASM storage and Oracle clusterware. Much more significantly, the maximum capacity of your entire cluster cannot exceed 4 CPUs (CPU cores, actually). Note that this is "capacity", not installed processors. As true single processor (single-processor-core) systems are getting harder and harder to find, this effectively limits you to a maximum of 2 nodes in your cluster. 2-node clusters under certain configurations (not sure whether OCS/ASM is one of them) can be subject to severe stability issues, as failure of one node can result in "split-brain" conditions that cause failure of the entire cluster.

Standard Edition RAC can be useful, I am sure. And I have little doubt that somebody is using it. Somewhere. But I would think that an application that genuinely requires the "high availability" offered by RAC while simultaneously living comfortably within the limits of a 4 CPU cluster would be a very rare combination.

Now, finally, as to the lack of Diagnostics Pack / AWR data in Standard Edition...

Well, that's not at all true. Well, not entirely true, anyway. AWR is definitely present in Standard Edition, and the tables are (by default) populated. The same is true for most Diagnostic Pack tables/views that I can think of. There's just one catch, though. You are not allowed to access it! Specifically, it seems that accessing this data (even from SQL*Plus) requires licenses for Diagnostics Pack (and/or Performance Tuning Pack) which cannot be obtained for Standard Edition.

I presently have an SR open with Oracle Support, requesting instructions for a suported method of removing AWR from Standard Edition databases. So far the only answer I have received has been "go talk to your sales rep". For the life of me, I cannot understand why. Why would I talk to a sales rep about a licensing option that we both know is unavailable to me?

Anyway, if you happen to have an application that requires RAC (but not TAF -- I'm not certain, but I don't think you can get that with SE), will neverneed more than 4 CPUs, and can live without all of the cool nifty features
of EE, you can save about $200,000 per cluster by using Standard Edition, plus about $30,000 per year in support. Over time, though, the lack of EE features might make you pay back a big chunk of that in (maybe) increased downtime and personnel costs.

Before you go down this path, be certain you know what you are sacrificing! Make sure you are completely aware of all the features that are unavailable with SE.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead