RE: RMAN fails because of corrupt block in seemingly free space in SYSTEM

From: <Uldis.Pavuls_at_tietoenator.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:59:21 +0200

Thanks, Dennis, it was very informative... :)

Well, in fact I’ve put a similar message on Metalink forum, too. As for support call, there are some technical difficulties I’d rather avoid - I said already that they licence is "application use only", so all the support goes through us, I’d have to cover a few hundreds km just to place a SR and then go through all that procedure... sure you know, what i mean.

In fact I advised the local staff to make a manual online database copy (instead of RMAN's). The instance does startup all OK, so it seems safe enough (though I'm not entirely sure, it's why I'm here). Actually they have experienced this problem quite a some time before calling on us and have restarted the instance several times already. Instance is supposed to work in 24x7 with all what's involved (just customer access to the system is limited), so export just won't do.

I usually can manage - more or less - block corruption and wouldn't care much if, in the first place, it wasn't the SYSTEM tablespace. On the other hand, I just do not understand why RMAN ever cares about this block and why it's fractal, it's in the free space list after all. Usually corrupted blocks belong to some certain object, most often an index segment, but it's first time on my experience that causes a problem being in free space. I seldom use raw devices myself, though, that's true, and so there could be some difference.

I've found few notes in the Metalink with similar symptoms, but, on closer look, none of them match the case, neither any of them gives a clue. I.e., the mechanics are explainied alright, altogether not in the case of a block in a segment in the free segments list.

Best regards and happy New Year!
Uldis

Uldis Pavuls
DBA, TietoEnator
41 Lacplesa Str., Riga, Latvia, LV 1011
phone +371 7 286 660, fax +371 7 771 313 mailto:Uldis.Pavuls_at_tietoenator.com
http://www.tietoenator.com <http://www.tietoenator.com/>