Manual vs Auto PGA

From: blr_dba <deepak_blr_at_youtele.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:31:28 +0530

Hi Gurus.

My query is using big hash joins. I had set PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET=4GB. But when I observed the pga statistics, I found that the max. pga used by a session is 300M. That was the only user session running.

Later I used manual PGA and defined the hash_area_size=2GB explicitly. Then oracle started using the whole hash_area and the query ran faster.

Would like to know why oracle did not allocated teh desired hash_area_size when I used auto PGA?

Are there any situations where we should use manual pga?

Anything I missed?

Deep