Re: ASM over SLVM

From: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:56:47 -0800 (PST)

at one point:

    D) SGeRAC & Oracle ASM for 10gR2
  •Prior to SGeRAC 11.17, ASM is NOT supported in SG/SGeRAC configurations   •HP will support ASM with SGeRAC 11.17 on HP-UX 11.23 in the December ’05 /January ‘06 timeframe   •Only support for RAC 10g R2:
&#8722;no support for RAC10g R1
&#8722;no support for single instance
&#8722;no support for Disaster Tolerant configurations of Oracle ASM with SG/SGeRAC
  •Each ASM disk group member must be a SLVM raw logical volume   •SLVM provides active/standby multi-pathing support for RAC and single instance (“pvlinks”)   •Leverage cluster-wide device name feature of SLVM

  that same info from HP says consider using the full oracle stack (ie. no SGe for RAC) when using ASM.

  any good reasons for using SGe and ASM?

Naqi Mirza <naqimirza_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

        Hi,
About to do:
2 Node RAC 10GR2 {10.2.0.2} on HP-UX (Serviceguard extensions for RAC will also be used) using ASM for database storage. I was wondering whether anyone has configured asm over slvm? The rac configs that I have been involved in have either had a cluster filesystem in place or shared raw partitions. I am not too familiar with slvm, so was wondering how it works with asm. My assumption is this. If i have 10 disks that will be used as member disks for a diskgroup. Each physical disk will be configured as a separate logical volume. These logical volumes will be represented by perhaps Disk1....Disk10 - these logical volumes will then in turn serve as member disks for asm. Does this sound correct? Thanks

Naqi

Do You Yahoo!?