RE: Why isn't Oracle Using My Index

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 22:54:32 -0800

Jared,

It is the oracle 9i database reference release 9.2 document. I checked the 10gR2 documentation and the same statement is made there as well.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 4:49 PM To: William Wagman
Cc: Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Why isn't Oracle Using My Index

n 12/21/06, William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu> wrote:

        Greetings,

        Thanks to Riyajh Shamsudeen for pointing out to me that NLS_SORT is in part the culprit. In our database NLS_SORT = GENERIC_BASELETTER. According to the Oracle documentation this forces a full table scan. I set nls_sort=binary and the query used the indexes. I still don't fully understand what is going on and need to do some further reading. I also need to turn on cpu_costing and see if that will resolve the problem if nls_sort is left at it's current setting. Thanks to all who responded, I truly appreciate the help.

Very interesting.

Can you perhaps point out just which documentation you found this in?

--
Jared Still