Unsetting init.ora parameter (WAS: db_file_multiblock_read_count causing...)

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:49:19 -0600

Hey all,

This statement from the docs regarding DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT has me thinking:

If this parameter is not set explicitly (or is set is 0), the optimizer will use a default value of 8 when costing full table scans and index fast full scans.

I see that one of our 10.2.0.2.0 DBs on AIX 5.3 had this set explicitly to 16. Is it possible to "unset" this parameter (or any other) dynamically? Or do I just have to bounce the instance?

Yes, I'd check the docs, but tahiti's very slow and/or unresponsive this morning...must find 10g DVD somewhere...

TIA,
Rich